How to Tighten Skin After Weight Loss
It can be frustrating when you set a weight loss goal for yourself, only to be left with excess skin from rapid weight loss or other natural aging factors. If you’re looking for how to tighten skin after weight loss, Sculpt MD has the answer for you! There are two methods for skin tightening in Livermore:
- Building muscle and reducing excess skin
- Improve skin elasticity
How to Tighten Skin After Weight Loss: Loose Skin vs Excess Fat
Before you tackle trying to get rid of any excess skin, make sure what you are trying to get rid of is loose skin. Many times, after weight loss, loose skin is mistaken for excess fat which is soft and jiggly. If you are able to pinch more than an inch of skin between your fingers, than you probably have more fat to lose before tightening your skin.
Until the fat is gone, your skin will not retract. Your skin adapts to its surroundings, internally and externally. This means as long as fat remains, it will stay molded to the fat. It is not until there is a void that the skin will retract.
If you are considering surgery, you should wait until your body fat percentage hits 10% for men, 20% for women. This allows your body levels to fall where the subcutaneous fat becomes low enough for your body to assess the state of your skin. If you become lean enough, you might resolve the problems with your loose skin.
It’s also important to remember that certain fat stores more in places where it’s harder to burn than others and can be associated with loose skin like:
- Lower abdomen
- Lower back (love handles)
Building Muscle and Reducing Excess Skin
There are 2 layers of tissue under your skin: fat and muscle. They press against the skin to keep it from sagging loosely from your body.
When you gain a lot of weight, your skin expands with it to make room. Just the same, when you loose weight, your skin retracts with your body. If you lose weight too quickly, your skin can’t shrink at the same rate as quick as fat cells. This creates loose skin. With various forms of the starvation dieting and large amounts of cardio, not only do you lose weight, but you can lose muscle, too. This creates a void between your skin and tissue.
Building muscle fills the looseness left behind by a rapid amount of weight loss. Whether you are just starting to lose weight, or you’ve already lost, implement weight lifting into your regime. Remember to focus on losing weight, which means losing fat not muscle.
Improve Skin Elasticity
When you lose the elasticity in your skin, your skin struggles to retract. This is all part of the natural aging process. There are many ways you can improve your skin elasticity:
- Eat enough protein – There is a correlation between the protein you intake and the health of your skin. Just as your body needs the important nutrients to function properly, that doesn’t mean your skin is left out. Protein helps create youthful, healthy skin. Lower protein diets can lead to poorer skin health.
- Eat fruits and veggies – As I have mentioned, your body needs vitamins and minerals. You need several servings of fruit and veggies to provide your body with all its needs. There are other ways to get the supplements from your fruits and veggies by taking different supplements or different additives into your milk, water, food, etc.
- Supplementation – Other than your food supplementation, there are vitamins that are harder to get from food that you eat regularly. Vitamins like gelatin, fish oil, and biotin can all help with skin health, but are difficult to find in food that you eat.
- Non-surgical skin tightening method – Another great way that produces quick skin tightening results is to find a non-surgical skin tightening method to help enforce the collagen production to improve your skin elasticity.
How to Tighten Skin After Weight Loss: Skin Tightening in Livermore
The BTL Exilis is a one-of-a-kind skin tightening treatment device for anyone looking to improve the elasticity of their skin in different areas of the body. It combines radio frequency with ultrasound to target various depths in the tissue pain-free.
As it penetrates the superficial layers, it creates contraction in the collagen fibers of your skin. In response, your body rapidly produces a significant amount of collagen to create tighter skin. With just the use of a handpiece, you can tighten the skin of your face:
- Eye area
- Around the mouth
- Chin area
And, all over your body:
- Lower back
- Bra roll
At Sculpt MD, we offer you the latest BTL Exilis methods to help you improve your skin elasticity. Not only that, but we also offer CoolSculpting to help reduce fat! To find out if you need fat reduction or skin tightening, contact us today for your consultation! We can get you closer to your body goals, making you a happier and more confident you.