8 Causes of Hair Loss in Men
Hair loss can cause a lot of frustration and insecurities that leave men and women alike wondering how to fix their problems. It may not only be a concern physically, but it could leave people wondering what caused this hair loss to happen? Previously, we talked about the different causes of hair loss in women, so what are the causes of hair loss in men?
What is Hair Loss?
In order to understand what causes hair loss, we need to learn what is hair loss and hair growth. Your hair is made of a protein called keratin. As new keratin cells are produced through your hair follicles, old keratin cells are pushed out at a rate of 6 inches per year.
So, the hair you see on your head is actually the dead keratin cells. Your entire head consists of 100,000 to 150,000 individual pieces of hair, and you lose about 100 per day. Naturally, a little hair in a brush shouldn’t be a concern. Your hair is growing 90% of the time throughout its life cycle. Hair growth consists of 3 stages:
- Anagen – active hair growth occurring for 2 to 6 years
- Catagen – transitional hair growth that happens between 2-3 weeks
- Telogen – resting phase that lasts 2-3 months; at the end, you shed the old and the new replaces it which starts the process over
Types of Hair Loss in Men
The scientific name of hair loss is known as alopecia, and there are many different forms.
- Involutional alopecia
This describes the natural thinning of hair that occurs with age.
- Androgenic alopecia
A genetic attribute that is also known as male pattern baldness. It occurs as early as teens and early 20s, consisting of a receding hairline and gradual disappearance from the crown of the head and frontal scalp.
- Alopecia areata
Normally occurring in children and young adults, its characterized by a patchy hair loss. In some cases, it can lead to complete baldness, and 90% of cases the hair returns.
- Alopecia universalis
All of your hair falls out, including eyebrows, eyelashes, and private areas.
A psychological condition that typically occurs in children where they pull out their own hair.
- Telogen effluvium
Temporary hair thinning due to changes in the hair growth cycle and an interruption between the telogen and anagen phases.
- Scarring alopecia
A permanent hair loss due to a skin condition and other skin disorders.
Causes of Hair Loss in Men
Now that all the different conditions are aware, it’s time to look at the different things that actually cause these conditions and cause hair loss in men.
- Hormones – abnormal levels of androgens can cause hair thinning or loss
- Genes – having a predisposition for male pattern baldness from family relatives
- Stress/illness – can cause hormone imbalance, high blood pressure, and other imbalances of the skin that lead to hair loss
- Drugs – medication used in chemotherapy, blood thinners, medications used to control blood pressure can all effect hair loss
- Burns/injuries – may cause temporary loss unless there is scarring, which means permanent loss
- Autoimmune disease – usually leads to alopecia areata specifically
- Medical conditions – from thyroid to diabetes, there are many different conditions can alter your natural hair cycle
- Diet – low-protein diets and sever calorie restrictions can cause malnutrition, leading to hair loss
Hair Restoration with SculptMD
At SculptMD, we offer Hair Restoration by using Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP). It’s a natural and safe way to restore hair due to balding or thinning.
PRP is produced from an individual’s own blood, utilizing all the natural growth factors within the blood’s plasma. With the natural platelets and bioactive proteins working together, the factors found in PRP stimulate hair growth.
Benefits of Hair Restoration
Because of this natural and safe procedure, the benefits of hair restoration are all going to help your hair regrowth:
- Full of natural hair growth
- Stimulates hair follicle growth
- Stimulation in hair cross-sections
- Tissue repair
- Cell growth
PRP can work with other methods of hair restoration like hair transplants and red-light therapy. You can typically receive on monthly injection for three months, then one injection every 7-8 months to yield the best results.
No need to worry about scarring or down time! PRP does not break the epidermis, so you won’t experience any scarring. While you may feel a mild sunburn sensation, the skin recovers within 24-72 hours from the treatment. Since it’s your own blood, you don’t need to worry about any side effects!
ScultpMD can help you with our hair restoration in Livermore if you’re suffering from hair loss. Give us a call for your consultation and get closer to a more confident you!